They say everything’s bigger and better in Texas for a reason! From museums and space centers to beautiful botanical gardens, Texas has so much to offer families. With our list below, you’ll be packing your bags and making your way to Texas. So, keep reading to find out eleven fun things to do in Texas with kids
Is Texas a Good Place for Kids?
Not only does the state prioritize safety for families, but it also has a wide variety of different attractions, activities, and sightseeing. A recent study in 2022 showed that Texas is the best state to raise a family in. So, in a state that offers family fun, safety, great food, and beauty, who can resist a trip to Texas?
Places and Fun Things to Do in Houston with Kids
If you’re staying in Houston, here are some of the best places to go with your kids:
Space Center Houston
This is not your ordinary day out with the family! Kill two rockets with one asteroid by allowing your child to learn about space and have fun at the same time. Our future generations of little astronauts will love this unique yet exciting exploration adventure.
Day trips are fun, but how exciting would it be to experience an overnight adventure? You’re in for an out-of-this-world experience because, at Space Center Houston, they have a unique overnight family camping experience!
If the outdoor adventure excites you, bring a tent, pillow, and sleeping bag; otherwise, an indoor option is available. Enjoy a wonderful planned-out, educational, and hands-on itinerary that includes a catered breakfast and dinner too. The experience is for campers aged 5 years and older.
- Remember to book your adventure at least two weeks before the day you plan to visit because it ensures your date of choice is available.
- For further information on pricing and everything else, please check out their website.
Children’s Museum of Houston
Not only is the Children’s Museum of Houston an excellent and exciting day trip, but when you visit, you’re also supporting a good cause. The museum is a charity for the children of Houston that aims itself at revolutionary child-focused learning.
From birthday parties, restaurants, shopping experiences, and group and field experiences, the choices are endless! The exhibits give your child an insight into health, history, human development, the arts, science, and tech.
- Did you know a normal admission ticket starts from $14? But if you go on a Thursday evening between 5 pm and 8 pm, you and your child get free admission!
- If large crowds are not your thing, then we suggest going on days that are a bit quieter, like during the week and not holidays.
With over 6,000 animals, there’s something for everyone to enjoy! Kids can get up close and personal with the animals, and parents, don’t leave your cameras at home because they can even take a ride on the carousel.
The zoo offers various animal encounters and experiences, such as behind-the-scenes tours and animal meet-and-greets, which can provide a unique and unforgettable experience. Furthermore, the Houston Zoo features beautiful gardens and landscapes, which offer a peaceful and relaxing atmosphere to stroll through.
Additionally, the zoo offers educational programs and workshops, which can help visitors of all ages learn more about the animals and their habitats.
- Plan your visit and buy tickets online.
- We recommend SPF 50+ because the Texas heat is a scorcher.
- Download the Houston Zoo app for exhibit details, schedules, and ticket purchases.
Houston Museum of Natural Science
From awe-inspiring exhibitions on prehistoric creatures to stunning displays of rare gemstones and minerals, there’s something for everyone at this incredible museum. But a must-see is the Cockrell Butterfly Centre. Walk into the land of majestic creatures, with over 50 species of exotic butterflies and moths, it’s an exploration of a ridiculously amazing rainforest conservatory.
All ages will enjoy the museum offerings with interactive exhibits that provide hands-on learning experiences, such as the Wiess Energy Hall and Morian Hall of Paleontology. The museum has virtual reality experiences that allow kids to explore topics such as the solar system, ancient Egypt, and the human body.
Kids can also watch paleontologists in the Dino Lab as they prepare and study real dinosaur fossils. Additionally, the museum offers summer camps and classes that are fun and educational for kids, inspiring a lifelong love of learning about science and nature.
- Take advantage of the audio guide app, available for free download on your smartphone, for an immersive and educational experience.
- Check out the museum store for unique souvenirs, educational toys, and books on science and nature.
Places and Fun Things to Do in Dallas with Kids
From nature and breathtaking views to aquatic adventures and art districts – Yombu recommends you come with the family and have some fun because, in Dallas, there’s always something to be done!
The Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden
The Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden offers a range of experiences for families, making it a great destination for kids. The Rory Meyers Children’s Adventure Garden provides interactive exhibits that teach kids about science and nature, while the Nancy Rutchik Red Maple Rill offers a stream to splash around in. The garden also hosts family-friendly events like Halloween celebrations and Christmas light displays.
- Look out for incredible seasonal sightseeing on their website to see what’s in bloom when you and your family go. The spring tulip festival, summer sunflowers, and fall pumpkin village are just some of the excitements to look out for.
- Respect the beauty of nature by following the company’s rules! These rules include staying on designated paths, not picking flowers or plants, and not climbing on any structures or exhibits.
Dallas World Aquarium
Ready for an underwater adventure like no other? The Dallas World Aquarium is the perfect destination for families who love to explore! Discover a world of hidden treasures and exotic creatures, from colorful corals to playful sea turtles. Your kids can even take part in a scavenger hunt to uncover hidden secrets throughout the aquarium! It’s a fun and engaging way to learn about the amazing creatures that call the ocean home.
Explore the Amazonian jungle right in the heart of Downtown Dallas when you get up close and personal with tropical birds, and even learn about the important work being done to protect endangered species. But that’s not all – they can also take part in a virtual reality experience that will transport them to the depths of the ocean! It’s an immersive adventure that your kids will never forget. Come see the world in a whole new way at the Dallas World Aquarium!
- You must see the aquarium’s daily feeding schedules for various animals, so make sure you find them so that you don’t miss out on this opportunity.
- The early bird always catches the worm! So skip the long queues by arriving early.
- Plan enough time to spend at the aquarium as there’s an endless number of activities and sights to explore.
The Arts District in Dallas
The world without art is just “eh.” So come and have a whale of a time at the Dallas Arts District! You’ll be in awe of the Winspear Opera House, where the performers are as bright as the stars. It’s a stage so grand, it’s simply out of this land! And don’t forget to bring your family to the Nasher Sculpture Center, where art is the center of adventure. With so many sculptures to see, you’ll be walking and talking with glee! The outdoor garden is simply amazing, with art that’s nothing short of blazing!
The Perot Museum of Nature and Science is a place where knowledge is king, and everyone is into science things! The Dallas Museum of Art is also a place where art comes alive, with free admission and rotating exhibits that’ll make you feel like you’re on a jive! Last but certainly not least, don’t forget to take a visit to Arturo’s Nest, where kids can create art with zest!
- Consider the time of day that you plan to visit the Arts District as some museums and galleries have shorter hours on certain days or may be closed on Mondays. Also, some venues offer free admission during certain hours or days of the week, so it’s worth checking the schedules in advance.
- With so much to do and see, ensure that you are wearing the ultimate mobility outfit – that means comfortable clothes and shoes.
Reunion Tower in Dallas
Looking for a family adventure that’s oh-so-pretty? Head up to the Reunion Tower; it’s sure to be a hit with your family! With 360-degree views that’ll take your breath away, your family will be able to see Dallas in a new and exciting way.
Ride the elevator to the top and feel the thrill of the ride, then take in the sights and sounds. You’ll feel like you’re up in the sky! Get excited and start to plan your visit for the Spring of 2023 as they have exciting new dining concepts on the way. Bring your family to the Geo-Deck and learn something new, with interactive exhibits and 3D models to view. The amazing interactive exhibits offer an exciting culture and history lesson.
Make it a family affair because of the stunning views and relaxation in the air, your family will create memories that will last. So come on up and have a blast! Take your kids to the observation deck, located 470 feet above the ground, for a unique perspective of Dallas. One last thing before you go… The company will give you an amazing family photo.
- Although there is an option to purchase tickets in-person, the company encourages customers to avoid long waits by purchasing them online.
- Parking is a brief walk away from the tower, and it is a flat rate fee of $10 for 0-4 hours. So public transport could also be a great option to avoid parking fees.
- To comply with fire safety regulations, strollers are not allowed inside Reunion Tower. However, visitors with strollers can take advantage of the stroller parking area located at the security checkpoint on the ground floor of the tower. Alternatively, removable infant carriers and wearable baby carriers are permitted inside the tower.
White Rock Lake
Take a break from the hustle and bustle of city life, and enjoy the great outdoors, free from stress and strife. With stunning views and plenty of space to explore, White Rock Lake is the perfect place to let your family’s adventure soar.
White Rock Lake is a fantastic spot for families who enjoy nature and the great outdoors. The park features a 9.33-mile hike and bike trail with picturesque views of the lake and its surroundings. Winfrey Point and Big Thicket offer rental facilities for family gatherings, while the White Rock Lake Museum and the Bath House Cultural Center showcase local art and history.
The park also has a bird-watching area, wetland, dog park, picnic areas, pavilions, piers, and boat ramps for rent. With so many options, White Rock Lake is the perfect place to spend a day in the sun with your family.
- Remember to protect yourself with SPF. The sun’s rays are so strong, especially when you’re outdoors, so don’t forget to pack and apply your sunscreen.
- On the topic of sun protection, remember your favorite hat and shades.
- There are multiple parking spots available around the area. However, the perfect spot depends on the activities that you plan to take part in. So, plan your activities ahead of time.
- Let’s protect and respect our planet, by ensuring that you and your family do not litter. This can also be a great way to introduce and teach your kids about the importance of caring for the environment.
Places and Fun Things to Do in San Antonio with Kids
So, you and your family are staying in San Antonio? Well, it’s a city with flair, where you’ll find adventure and fun everywhere. Six Flags Fiesta Texas is sure to make you scream,
and Natural Bridge Caverns are simply jaw-dropping dreams.
Natural Bridge Caverns in San Antonio
Natural Bridge Caverns is a must-visit destination for your family. Descend 180 feet below the earth’s surface and explore an underground world with stunning formations that look like they were crafted by a sculptor. And with a cool temperature of 70 degrees year-round, this is the perfect place to escape the Texas heat.
Above ground, there’s even more excitement to be had with a ropes course, zipline, gem and fossil panning, outdoor play area, gift shop, and more. For a truly unique experience, take a lantern-lit tour of the caverns and explore the same darkness early explorers once faced with only a lantern to guide them.
Don’t miss the Wildlife Park, where you can feed and interact with over 500 animals, including camels, zebras, and emus. With so much to see and do, Natural Bridge Caverns is the perfect family adventure.
- Consider the tour’s physical demands, especially if you have young children, elderly individuals, or those with mobility issues.
- Purchase tickets online ahead of time to not only ensure a space as it does bring in crowds but if you do purchase them online ahead of time you will save tickets.
- With all the many reasons to visit Natural Bridge Caverns, they also offer free parking.
Six Flags Fiesta Texas in San Antonio
Hola señor / señora, welcome to Six Flags Fiesta Texas, the ultimate destination for family fun and excitement. Named after the six flags that have flown over Texas throughout history, Six Flags Fiesta Texas celebrates the region’s unique and diverse past. With over 50 thrilling rides and attractions, including 5 roller coasters and a water park, there’s something for everyone.
For a unique experience, be sure to check out the park’s many themed areas, like the Wild West-themed Crackaxle Canyon or the Mexican-inspired Los Festivales. And don’t miss out on the park’s many dining options, from classic amusement park fare to delicious Mexican cuisine. With so much to see and do, Six Flags Fiesta Texas is the perfect place to create lasting memories with your family while celebrating Texas’s rich heritage and cultural diversity.
P.S. How exciting is it that it’s not just for the big kids but the little ones too?!
Texas is a great destination for families looking for fun and adventure. With its wide variety of attractions and activities, there’s something for everyone – from animal lovers to history buffs to thrill-seekers. Whether you’re planning a trip to Houston, Dallas, or San Antonio, make sure to check out party guide in Dallas for all the best party spots, party shops and venues..
So, pack your bags, grab your family, and get ready for a Lone Star State adventure! Book your Texas family vacation now and let the good times roll!
If one thinks Texas, you immediately think Tex-mex and rodeo! What also makes Texas cool is that it’s just so big, being the second biggest state in terms of land and population. Houston is the number one city visited in Texas and it’s also one of the most beautiful. Check out Buffalo Bayou Park for a wide range of activities that include hiking, biking and kayaking.